Famous Homeschoolers – Who Are Famous Homeschoolers in History?
When you choose to homeschool, you can feel like you’re on an island doing the unusual. but, the truth is that you are in good company! From elite athletes to politicians to entertainers, celebrity homeschoolers are among the most important and talented in our history. See for yourself with this list of the most famous homeschoolers.
Some of the most famous homeschoolers in our history have been presidents. U.S. Presidents who were homeschooled include John Adams, John Quincy Adams, James Garfield, William, Andrew Jackson, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, James Polk, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, and George Washington.
current famous homeschoolers
• tim tebow– nfl quarterback and motivational speaker• justin bieber– musician• bethany hamilton– professional surfer• arran fernandez – mathematician, young prodigy• emma watson– actress famous for her role in the harry potter series• julian trevelyan– young concert pianist • esperanza spalding– grammy-winning musician and child prodigy• venus and serena williams– professional tennis players• condoleeza rice– former secretary of state• sage katsenberg– Olympic snowboarder
See our detailed list of current athletes who were homeschooled!
constitutional convention delegates
• richard basseti – governor of de• william blount – usa. senator • george clymer – usa representative • william few – usa. senator• benjamin franklin• william houston – lawyer• william s. johnson• william livingston – governor of nj• james madison – 4th u.s. president•george mason – judge of va• john francis mercer – usa. rep.• charles pickney iii – governor of sc• john rutledge – chief justice• richard d. spaight – governor of nc• george washington• john witherspoon• george wythe – judge of va
• john adams• john quincy adams• grover cleveland• james garfield• william henry harrison• andrew jackson• thomas jefferson• abraham lincoln• james madison• franklin delano roosevelt• theodore roosevelt• john tyler• george washington• woodrow wilson
• Konrad Adenauer• Henry Fuente Ashurst• William Jennings Bryan• Winston Churchill• Henry clay• pierre du pont• benjamin franklin• alexander hamilton• patrick henry• william penn• daniel webster
• alexander the great – greek ruler• john barry – senior naval officer• stonewall jackson – civil war general• john paul jones – father of the US Navy• robert e. lee – civil war general • douglas macarthur – usa. general• george patton – united states general• matthew perry – naval officer who opened trade with japan• john pershing – us. general• david dixon porter – civil war admiral
united states supreme court judges
• john jay• john marshall• john rutledge• sandra day o’connor
• george washington carver• pierre curie• albert einstein• michael faraday – electrochemist• oliver heaviside – physicist and electromagnetism researcher• t.h. huxley• blaise pascal• booker t. washington• erik demaine – popular science magazine: one of the most brilliant scientists in america
• william blake• john singleton copley• claude monet• grandmother moses• charles peale • leonardo da vinci• andrew wyeth• jamie wyeth
• joan of arc• william carey• jonathan edwards• philipp melancthon• dwight l . crabby• john newton• john owen• hudson taylor• john & charles wesley• young brigham
• alexander graham bell – invented the telephone• john moses browning – inventor and designer of firearms• peter cooper – invented the skyscrapers, built us first. commercial locomotive• thomas edison – invented the stock ticker, the mimeograph, the phonograph, and perfected the electric light bulb• benjamin franklin – invented the lightning rod• elias howe – invented the sewing machine• william lear – creator of airplanes• cyrus mccormick – invented the grain harvester• guglielmo marconi – developed the radio• eli whitney – invented the cotton gin• sir frank whittle – invented the turbo jet engine• orville and wilbur wright – built the first successful airplane
• irving berlin• anton bruckner• noel coward• felix mendelssohn• wolfgang amadeus mozart • francis poulenc• john philip sousa
• hans christian anderson• margaret atwood• pearl s. dollar• william f. buckley, jr.• willa cather• agatha christie• samuel clemens (mark twain)• charles dickens• robert frost – pulitzer prize-winning poet• charlotte perkins gilman• alex haley• brett harte• l. hubbard rum• c.s. lewis• amy lowell• gabriela mistral• sean o’casey• christopher paolini – author of New York’s #1 Bestseller, Eragon• Elizabeth Paterson• Beatrix Potter – Author of The Beloved Tales of Peter Rabbit• Carl Sandburg• george bernard shaw• mattie j. t. stepanek – author of 11 years of songs from the heart• mercy warren• phillis wheatley• walt whitman• laura ingalls wildest
• amos bronson alcott – innovative teacher, father of louisa may alcott• catharine beecher – co-founder of hartford women’s seminary• jill ker conway – first female president of smith college• timothy dwight – president of yale university• william samuel johnson – president of columbia college• horace mann – “father of the common american school”• charlotte mason – founder of the charlotte mason college of education• fred terman – president of the stanford university • frank vandiver – president of texas a&m university• booker t. washington – founder of tuskegee institute• john witherspoon – president of princeton university
• louis armstrong – king of jazz• charlie chaplin – actor• whoopi goldberg – actress• hanson – sibling singing group• jennifer love hewitt – actress• yehudi menuhin – wunderkind violinist• moffatts – canadian version of hanson• frankie muniz – child actor• leanne rimes – teen country music prodigy singer• barlow girl – alyssa, rebecca, and lauren contemporary christian music• jonas brothers – kevin, joe and nick performers• jacob clemente – broadway actor
Dive deeper into famous and successful artists who were homeschooled.
• andrew carnegie – wealthy steel industrialist•amadeo giannini – founder of the bank of america•horace greeley – founder of the new york tribune • soichiro honda – creator of the honda car company• peter kindersley – illustrator and book editor• ray kroc – founder of the chain of fast food restaurants mcdonald’s• jimmy lai – newspaper publisher; founder of giordano international • dr. orison swett marden – founder, success magazine• adolph ochs – founder of the new york times• joseph pulitzer – newspaper editor; established the pulitzer prize• colonel harland sanders – started kentucky fried chicken• dave thomas – founder of the wendy’s restaurant chain• mariah witcher – founder of mariahs famous cookies• daniel mills – founder of salem ridge press
• abigail adams – wife of john adams; mother of john quincy adams• ansel adams – photographer• susan b. anthony – reformer and women’s rights leader• john james audubon – ornithologist and artist• clara barton – started the red cross• elizabeth blackwell – first woman in the us to receive a medical degree• john burroughs – naturalist• george rogers clark – explorer• davy crockett – frontiersman• eric hoffer – social philosopher• sam houston – lawyer; first president of the republic of texas• charles evans hughes – jurist; presiding judge• mary d. leakey – fossil hunter; wife of richard leakey• tamara mckinney – world cup skier• harriet martineau – first female sociologist• margaret mead – cultural anthropologist• john stuart mill – free market economist• charles louis montesquieu – philosopher• john muir – naturalist• florence nightingale – nurse• thomas paine – political writer during the american revolution• bill ridell – journalist• will rogers – humorist• bertrand russell – logician• jim ryan – world runner• albert schweitzer – doctor• sir ernest shackleton – explorer• herbert spencer – philosopher, sociologist• gloria steinem – founder and editor of ms. magazine• jason taylor – plays in the national football league• mary walker – civil war doctor; Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient• lester frank ward – “father of american sociology”• martha washington – wife of george washington• frances e. c. willard – educator, temperance leader, and suffragette• frank lloyd wright – architect• elijah ben solomon zalman – jewish scholar•balaram stack – award-winning surfer• lia del priore – award-winning gymnast• taylor gladstone – dancer
famous homeschooling parents
• will smith – singer, actor• michael card – singer, songwriter• mike farris – lawyer and co-founder of home school association of legal defense (hslda)• robert frost – pulitzer prize-winning poet• christopher klicka – attorney and senior counsel to the homeschool legal defense association (hslda) • len munsil – lawyer and president of the arizona center for politics (cap)• paul overstreet – musician, songwriter•kelly preston – actress , wife of john travolta • mike smith – lawyer and co-founder of the homeschool legal defense association (hslda)• john travolta – actor, pilot• lisa whelchel – former actress, “the facts of life”, now wife of a pastor and author•darrell waltrip – nascar racer
Is your child an elite athlete or artist? Learn more about child or celebrity star/artist homeschooling with Bridgeway Academy.
Ready to start homeschooling or have questions? Call us at 1-800-863-1474 to speak with one of our homeschool experts.