How to cast from Windows Media Player to Chromecast (2022) – PC Webopaedia
Did you know there is an easy wireless way to cast local media files from your windows pc to your TV? you do not need to install or buy new software. With Windows Media Player (WMP), the default media player on Windows OS computers, you can stream content from your computer to your TV.
If you’re a windows user, you’ll know that wmp is the most convenient way to access images, videos, and audio files. you can also use wmp to organize local files, burn cd’s and sync with mobile devices.
windows media player in windows 10 has a built-in streaming feature to stream content to another bluetooth or wireless device. however, if you don’t have a smart tv, you’ll need to use google chrome and a chromecast device to cast your computer screen to your tv.
Most users rely on Google Chromecast devices to turn their standard TV into a Smart TV to access streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube. Not many people know that it works great to stream videos, movies, audio, and photos directly from your PC’s hard drive to your TV.
In this article, learn how to set up google chromecast to stream wmp content from your desktop or laptop to your TV.
note: if you have a windows laptop and want to stream content to your tv, but don’t want to use windows media player, you can try vlc media player, which is free. alternative. we have a guide on how to stream vlc to your chromecast.
how to stream windows media player to tv?
For those of you who have a smart TV, you’re in luck. you can automatically connect windows media player to your display device using streaming function as shown in this video:
Fortunately, it is still possible to screencast wmp on your standard TV with a chromecast device.
By clicking the cast button in google chrome, you can cast your entire desktop and access local files on your TV via windows media player classic on your desktop or laptop.
requirements for windows media player classic to chromecast
To successfully chromecast local media files from your pc to your TV, you will need the following devices and system specifications:
- original chromecast: get original google chromecast or new chromecast with google tv. Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra have been discontinued.
- Windows PC or Laptop: To connect Windows Media Player (WMP) with Chromecast, you will need a Windows PC. (note: wmp is only available on windows OS)
- google chrome browser: since you can’t use streaming/broadcasting function in For standard TVs, you need to connect your PC to your TV with Chromecast through Google Chrome. Be sure to update Google Chrome to the latest version to avoid complications.
- Stable Internet Connection: Your PC and Chromecast must share the same network for you to cast your screen. wi-fi is the most convenient way for most users, but using cable internet will ensure a faster and more stable connection.
- tv with hdmi port: the Chromecast devices can only be connected to your TV through the HDMI port. If your TV doesn’t have an HDMI port, you can use an HDMI adapter.
step by step guide: how to chromecast windows media player
In this section, you will find the easiest way to transfer local chromecast media files from your pc to your TV.
step 1: install windows media player
windows media player classic is a free tool from microsoft that is pre-installed on all windows operating systems. however, if you can’t find the software on your desktop or laptop, you may have uninstalled it in the past.
note: if you already have wmp on your computer (host device), you can skip this step.
- access settings by clicking the windows icon. select apps.
- click apps & features in the sidebar. click optional featuresfrom the main menu.
- under optional features, click add a feature. scroll through the list and select windows media player application. you can also use the search bar to select wmp.
- click install and wait for the program installation process to complete.
- after installation, close all applications, then start wmp.
step 2: set up chromecast on your TV
Here’s how to connect your chromecast device to your TV:
- connect the chromecast device to your tv through the hdmi port. again, you can use an hdmi adapter if you have an older tv without an available hdmi port.
- press the source or input button on your tv remote control . choose the correct input source (hdmi 1, 2, etc.) where the chromecast is connected.
- then connect the tv to the same internet connection as your windows pc (host device). press the menu button on the TV remote, then navigate to settings > network/connection settings. Follow the instructions to set up a wired or wireless connection. To connect your TV via Wi-Fi, you will need to enter the password.
step 3: chromecast from windows media player via google chrome browser
Here’s how to stream windows media player using chromecast:
- connect your host device to the same Wi-Fi network that your chromecast is connected to.
- open the google chrome browser on your host device.
- click the menu button (three stacked dots) in the upper right corner of the window. from the dropdown menu, select broadcast. google chrome will start searching for available chromecast devices.
- once google chrome detects your chromecast device, click the sources dropdown and click cast desktop.
- minimize google chrome, then open windows media player. any file you play and open in wmp will be cast on your tv.
The most common problem is that the streaming function does not work in the chrome browser. you will get “chromecast only available for specific video sites” error if that is the case. the linked guide has some solutions to fix the error.
windows media player is the easiest way to stream local media files from your pc to a display device.
However, the built-in windows media player chromecast plugin is only available on windows 10 for smart tvs. Fortunately, users without a smart TV can still stream movies, videos, pictures, and music from MPC using a Chromecast device and Google Chrome.
navigating to the menu > cast, then select cast desktop in google chrome, you can chromecast any local media files on your tv from your windows pc.