How do I create a movie in Windows Movie Maker? Images Windows Tech Ease
Note: As of January 10, 2017, Microsoft stopped supporting Windows Movie Maker. however, the windows movie maker app will still work and can be used by those who prefer it. we keep the movie maker posts within techease because we found that many people still use the app and visit the techease site for the specific help we offer.
Caution: While installation files downloaded directly from Microsoft are safe, there are now many reports of fraudulent non-Microsoft websites they offer malicious versions of movie maker for download. While this malware may work at first, it will eventually demand payment for features like saving a file. never download software from an untrusted source.
The first thing to do when you open windows movie maker to work on a new project is to save the project file:
- Select File > Save Project As…
- Choose a save location on your computer and enter a name for your file in the File name field.
- Click on Save.
You should save your project file as often as possible by selecting file > save project. the project file contains the information that will allow you to open the project with the movie maker at a later time if you need to make additional edits.
The first step in creating a movie with Movie Maker is to capture or import the content you want to use (such as video clips and still images). Once you’ve captured or imported the clips and still images you want to use in your movie, the next step is to use the storyboard to organize these assets into a sequence:
- Select a clip or still image you want to add to your movie in the Collection area.To preview a clip before you add it to your movie, click on it once in the Collection area to select it and press the Play button in the Preview Monitor.
- To add the clip or image to your movie, drag the clip or still image into one of the rectangular boxes in the Storyboard.If you do not see the Storyboard, click on the Show Storyboard button above the timeline.
Transitions can add variety and visual interest to your movie. however, you should use them sparingly. to add a transition between two clips or images:
- Select View video transitions in the Edit Movie section of the Movie Tasks pane (or choose Video Transitions from the Collections pulldown menu).If you do not see the Movie Tasks pane, choose View > Task Pane to display it.
- The Collection area will show a series of icons for the transitions available in Windows Movie Maker.Choose a transition and drag it to one of the small rectangles between two clips in the Storyboard.
Using the video effects, you can give your video clips the look of aged film, change them to black and white, and more. to add a video effect to a clip:
- Select View video effects in the Edit Movie section of the Movie Tasks pane (or choose Video Effects from the Collections pulldown menu).
- The Collection area will display a series of icons for the video effects available in Windows Movie Maker. Choose a video effect and drag it into a clip in the Storyboard. A star will display in the lower left corner of the clip or image to let you know that an effect has been added.
- To remove an effect, click once to select the star in the lower left corner of a clip and press the Delete key on your keyboard.
You can add titles and credits to your movie as follows:
- Select Make titles or credits from the Edit Movie section of the Movie Tasks pane.
- Choose the type of title or credit you want to add to your movie by clicking on one of the links. You can add titles at the beginning or end of the movie, before or after a clip, or as overlay that will display on top of the currently selected clip.
- Enter your text in the text boxes.
- To change the appearance of your text, click on the Change the text font and color link. On the next screen, use the controls to change the font type, color, transparency, size, and alignment. You can also make text bold, italic, or underline.
- To change the animation, click on the Change the title animation link. On the next screen, choose one of the animations to display a preview in the Preview pane.
- Click on Done, add title to movie when you’r finished setting all of your options. If you need to edit a title after you have added it to your movie, select the title clip in the Storyboard and choose Edit > Edit Title from the menu bar.
To preview your movie, make sure there are no selected clips or images in the collection area, then press the play button above the timeline or storyboard. you can also use the play button in the preview monitor.
The last step in creating a movie is to export it so it’s in a format that other people can play on their computers. to export a finished movie to your computer’s hard drive:
- Choose File > Save Movie File…
- Choose My Computer as the Movie Location and click on Next.
- Enter a name for your movie and choose a save location. The default location is the My Videos folder in My Documents.
- Choose Best quality for playback on my computer (Recommended). Movie Maker will let you know how much space the movie will take and how much space you have available on your computer.
- Click on Next to start saving your movie. This step can take some type if you have a slower computer or a very long movie.
- Make sure Play movie is checked on the final screen and then click on Finish to start playing your movie with Windows Movie Player.