Which Game Is the Uncharted Movie Based On?
The Uncharted Movie is coming to the big screen in February, starring Tom Holland as the beloved Nathan Drake and Mark Wahlberg as Sully, based on the Uncharted games.
Hopefully a bit of a cross between mission impossible and indiana jones, the uncharted movie is based on the uncharted games, released for ps3 and ps4. but this begs the question: what game is the movie about? is it all three? is it none of them? we have your answers.
what game is the uncharted movie based on?
the unknown movie seems to be a bit all over the place in terms of the game it’s based on. While it’s very much an origin story for the main character, Nathan Drake, it pulls one of the most iconic scenes directly from the third game.
The scene involves Nathan Drake getting out of the back of a crashing plane, originally being one of the most important scenes in Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. shot for shot it almost looks like the same scene.
speaking to ign, holland revealed that much of the uncharted movie is based on the fourth game.
“A lot of the inspiration for the movie comes from that particular game,” Holland told ign.
Now, I don’t want to be prudish, but that really splices the timeline. is an origin story about a young dragon, with much of the movie inspired by the fourth uncharted game, also including the most iconic scene from the third game (and possibly the entire franchise). that’s a great unknown stew.
what uncharted games should i play before watching uncharted?
here i’ll tell you the truth: the uncharted movie doesn’t require you to play all five uncharted video games, however playing the games will probably give you some context on what the movie will be like. you’ll also get a good idea of the characters, their motivations, and what they’re like.
Because it’s an origin story, the movie will likely stand alone, but here’s a quick guide to the games in the essential series that you should and shouldn’t play. you can immediately cross the vita-exclusive “uncharted: golden abyss” off your list.
- Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune – The original Uncharted game, this one has the less iconic moments but establishes the rest of the franchise. it’s not essential, nor is it really an origin story, but it’s a fun adventure.
- uncharted 2: among thieves – the second uncharted game, among thieves is seen as one of the best playstation exclusives. It’s a fun time and definitely worth playing if you’re craving an action-packed, Indiana Jones-style adventure.
- Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception – Carrying on the Uncharted legacy 2 drake’s deception is an amazing game, with its iconic plane scene from the movie. If you’re going to play an Uncharted game before the movie, this is one you shouldn’t miss.
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End – Holland says a lot about the movie itself. It’s based on a thief’s ending, so don’t miss this one. again, it’s an awesome exclusive, so expect to be entertained.
- uncharted: the lost legacy – follow supporting characters chloe frazer (also in the film, played by sophia ali) and nadine ross, the lost legacy is a spinoff game of a thief’s end. it’s not essential to the movie, but it’s a lot of fun on its own.
film release date unknown
The Uncharted movie is expected to open on February 17 in Australia. check out the unknown cast here.
Be sure to check out our article on all the top Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Thriller, Horror, and Adventure movies hitting theaters in 2022 while you wait for Uncharted to finally be released.