i received an all expenses paid trip to san francisco for coverage of this disney•pixar press event. however, all opinions are my own.
Reading: What disney movie is dante from
As the theatrical release date for Disney•Pixar’s Coco movie approaches, I wanted to share with you a few things I learned about one of the film’s most endearing characters: Dante.
10 interesting facts about dante
dante is miguel’s friend and companion in the movie coco and his companion and guide on his journey to the land of the dead. Although this silly dog seems to be in the movie only because of his tongue lolling laughs and crazy antics, he brings with him a lot of symbolism and meaning. here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about dante:
- dante was inspired by the xoloitzcuintle (or “xolo”) breed, which is also the national dog of mexico.
- the xolo appears in the legends of the Aztec afterlife where the xolos act as spirits guide the dead on their journey to the underworld. So it makes sense that Dante would be the one to accompany Miguel as he embarks on his adventure in the land of the dead.
- Xolo dogs are named after the Aztec god Xolotl, associated with lightning and death.
- Dante is a member of one of the oldest dog breeds, believed to be over 3,500 years old.
- Xolos are believed to safeguard the home from evil powers and intruders and the breed makes a good watchdog.
- many people believe that xolos have healing powers. the heat from their bodies is commonly used to soothe arthritis and other ailments. they’re basically big, comfy hot water bottles.
- this ancient breed is prone to losing their teeth, which causes their tongues to hang out of the sides of their mouths and this is where dante’s tongue hangs out. adorable look!
- dante is a hairless dog, this does not mean that he has no hair at all. Pixar’s artists put tufts of rough hair on his head and tail that add to his character.
- By bringing him to life, the animation team’s biggest challenge was the fact that he had no hair, so their expressions and movements had to be designed with the way their skin moves and folds in mind.
- dante was inspired by other disney and pixar dogs, including the dog in up! and lady and the tramp.
There’s no doubt that everyone will fall in love with Dante, Miguel’s faithful canine companion. He’s the perfect companion to guide you on a journey to the land of the dead and he’s also hilarious and lovable! You can get to know him better by watching him star in his own Pixar short film: Dante’s Lunch.
I think dante’s best look is when he’s wearing that wrestler’s cape and mask! how funny!
You can check out this video that disney posted on their facebook page and see a real xolo dog and his adventure at pixar studios!
disney•pixar coco in theaters november 22
coco hits US theaters on November 22, a few weeks after the day of the dead. make sure to check out the latest trailer below and you’ll see why we can’t wait to see this movie!
You can read more about Disney•Pixar’s Coco by visiting the Disney Movies website here. And be sure to follow the #pixarcocoevent hashtag on twitter as I and a wonderful group of fellow bloggers share all about coco.
You can also like pixar coco on facebook, get the latest updates via @pixarcoco on twitter, and follow @pixarcoco on instagram.
sharing is caring!