Since the first one was released in 2000, scary movies have been labeled as parodies. reference movies would be more accurate. Sure, they occasionally send in a horror trope or two, but most of the “impersonations” done in the franchise really involve recreating scenes from other movies and then perhaps adding a fart sound. it’s less about making fun of the movies than it is about lazily mentioning them. this is our best attempt at a complete list of every movie referenced in the scary movie franchise.
scary movie (2000)
* scream: most of the plot is a parody of scream. the main characters mirror those in scream and the film focuses on finding out who is killing people while wearing a ghost face mask. there are also some direct references to scream, including one character saying it has no plot and another saying their lives are like scream, “same dialogue and all”. .”
* I know what you did last summer: The other main plot points make fun of ikwydls. Cindy (Anna Farris) and her crew hit a man on a dark road with his car and throw him off a dock even though he’s not dead. when ghostface starts killing, they suspect the accident victim. There are also a couple of direct references to the movie, including a character saying it doesn’t make any sense and Cindy saying that in a horror movie version of her life, she would be played by “Jennifer Love Huge Tits”.
* the exorcist: Cindy mentions vomiting green slime and masturbating with a crucifix at her first keg party.
* kazaam: drew (carmen electra) says it’s her favorite horror movie because shaq’s performance is so scary.
* election: Annoyingly brave, heather (andrea nemeth) hands out election fliers in the school hallway and her teacher hates her.
* the shine: Buffy (shannon elizabeth) is alone in the girls locker room and ghostface whispers “redrum” before going in for the kill.
* the blair witch project: ghostface chases attention-hungry TV reporter gail hailstorm (cheri oteri) into the woods, where the camera pans towards his face (and his runny nose tap) to record his last words.
* shakespeare in love, friendship and titanic: ray (shawn wayans) and brenda (regina hall) go to the movies to see shakespeare, but first you have to see a trailer for amistad 2, which includes a slave standing on a boat who shouts: “I am the king of the world .”
* thelma & louise, the fugitive, jackie chan movies, schindler’s list, boogie nights, mom’s house big : brenda is murdered in the theater by pissed off moviegoers for whom she’s ruined all these movies by talking too loud.
* american pie: cindy and bobby (jon abrahams) go to her bed to have sex for the first time like michelle and jim did in american pie . It ends with Bobby pinning Cindy to the ceiling with a geyser of ejaculation.
* the sixth sense: smoked (marlon wayans) is baked and says: “I see dead people.”
* I still know what you did last summer: bobby mentions how much it sucks, especially the “fat white Jamaican kid” played by jack black.
* crouching tiger, hidden dragon and the matrix: the final fight scene uses visual tricks from the big fights in these two movies . the effects are not up to the originals.
* The Usual Suspects: Cindy drops her coffee cup when she realizes Doofy is the killer. the bottom of the cup says doofus, à la keyser soze.
* halloween: cindy throws ghost face through a window, and when she comes out, he’s gone. the same thing happened with michael myers.
scary movie 2 (2001)
* the haunting – the main point of the tease here, the plot of this 1999 remake involved a scientist who told people he was performing a study on insomnia but really wanted to see how they would react to fear. same deal here. Cindy, Ray, Smoky and Brenda are among those chosen to be part of the supposed study. there is also a female character called theo, as in the haunting. the ghost in sm2 is called hugh kane; in the curse, it’s hugh crain.
* The Exorcist: A young woman named Megan (Natasha Lyonne) is possessed just like Regan in The Exorcist. Her mom calls in a serious priest (andy richter) and a pedophile (james woods) to rid her of her evil spirit. they just end up throwing up on each other until the perverted priest shoots him.
* Friday the 13th: Megan’s last name is Vorhees, just like Jason’s.
* the amityville horror: perverted priest blesses the house while he poops, and the flies cover his face, as happens to the priest in the amityville horror me>.
* Dude, where’s my car?: Ray and a friend get tattoos on their upper backs. ray’s says “ray” and the other guy’s says “fucked me”.
* the rocky horror picture show: hanson (chris elliot) is a creepy servant based on riff raff. Plus, Tim Curry plays a scientist.
* urban legend: cindy drives alone and sings vitamin c’s “graduation (friends forever)”. the singing is bad and vitamin c interrupts to tell cindy to shut up. it all pokes fun at the death of the first character in this horrific 1998 horror film.
* paulie: there is a talking bird that curses a lot.
* save the last dance: the little girl gives cindy lessons on how to be cool, which leads her to beat up a girl and steal her coat.
* harry potter: cindy is reading a book called harry pothead.
* the changeable: a ball ominously bounces down the stairs as it does in this george c. scott’s haunted house movie.
*a nightmare on elm street: alex (spelling tori) has sex with a ghost in bed, on the walls and ceiling of his room while wearing a football jersey, to the scene where tina is killed in the wes craven original.
* poltergeist: A clown pushes Ray under a bed to attack him, but Ray rapes the clown instead.
* pet sematary: Cindy is attacked by a black cat in a fight that looks more like a boxing match when it ends. It’s a more ridiculous version of the moment when the church of the dead cat attacks louis in pet sematary.
* what lies below: cindy is temporarily possessed and seduces professor oldman (tim curry) while wearing a red dress in a scene that taunts one of this robert zemeckis movie.
* Little Shop of Horrors: Shorty waters a weed plant with bong water, causing it to grow into a giant monster that wraps him in a sheet and smokes it like a joint.
* the house on the haunted hill: there is a lot here. For starters, it’s a big haunted house with a basement full of dusty rooms. The skeletons in the 1959 version are also referenced when Brenda laughs at one before ripping out its skull.
* hollow man: The crew wear goggles that allow them to see ghosts and guns that kill them. However, the teacher’s assistant, Dwight (David Cross), says that all the money was spent on those things, so they have to use paper cups connected by string to communicate. Also, Cindy and Buddy get locked in a freezer from which they escape by building a bulldozer out of packing tape and aluminum foil, “faking” the easy construction of an electromagnet in the Kevin Bacon/Invisible Man movie.
* titanic: cindy gives buddy a handjob in the frozen room and recites the lines jack says to rose as she floats in the door near the end .
* mission: impossible ii: the motorcycle battle between tom cruise and dougray scott is recreated with dwight and the ghost of hugh kane, both in wheelchairs in instead of motorcycles Also referenced is John Woo’s signature pigeon shot, with the pigeons shitting on Dwight’s bald head.
* dirty harry: midway through the fight, dwight pulls a gun on the ghost and asks if he’s “feeling lucky, punk.”
* hannibal: hanson splits shorty’s head open so he can cook his brain, like hannibal lecter did with ray liotta. But when he removes the scalp, all that’s left is Beetlejuice, a member of the Howard Stern Wack Pack.
* Charlie’s Angels: Cindy, Brenda, and Theo dress up in angel outfits and strike angel poses as they battle Hanson.
* twister: Cindy’s intense twisting jump creates a tornado in the basement that somehow sucks in a picket fence and a cow.
* crouching tiger, hidden dragon: in cindy’s final fight with hanson, she performs some special moves called things like crouching tiger, drunken monkey and camel toe . .
* thirteen ghosts: To get rid of hugh kane, cindy must lure him onto a ghost-busting platform like the one in thirteen ghosts.
scary movie 3 (2003)
* the ring: this is the main objective of the film. Katy (Jenny McCarthy) and Becka (Pamela Anderson) first mention it before getting into a pillow fight. Throughout the rest of the movie, Cindy tries to solve the mystery of the scary girl in the video, who kills Brenda, shows up on the evening news, and eventually brings a group of aliens to earth so they can kill Brenda. video girl themselves. .
* the lord of the rings: there’s a creepy voice on the other end of the phone saying, “I’m coming for you, my precious”, in a decent impersonation of gollum. She is Becka’s mom.
* signs: much of the plot also makes fun of me. night shyamalan movie It begins with Tom (Charlie Sheen) and George (Simon Rex) as brothers who live together on a farm. they discover a crop circle that says “attack here” with an arrow pointing at their house. That makes them think that aliens are after them, but it turns out that the well in which the creepy girl in the video lives is under her house.
* 8 miles: George wants to be a rapper, so he travels to da hood to try and win a rap battle. Surprisingly, George stands his ground with Fat Joe. He gives up his hip-hop dreams before long, but hangs out with his black friends Mahalik (Anthony Anderson) and CJ (Kevin Hart).
* the sixth sense and minority report: Cindy’s nephew cody is a haley joel osment sized precog who loves tells every random stranger what lies in their future.
* the matrix: Cj’s aunt shaneequa (queen latifah) plays a version of the oracle. She reveals information to Cindy about the tape and then gets into a fight with the woman on the video. Her husband Orfeo de Ella (Eddie Griffin) helps her.
* the others: Tom walks into his daughter’s room and finds someone sitting under a sheet pretending to be her. it’s michael jackson.
* the matrix reloaded: the architect (george carlin), or the creator of the matrix, reveals that he has been watching cindy for years. Also, the girl in the creepy video is his daughter who was thrown into a well by his wife.
* pootie tang: The architect accidentally returned the evil tape his daughter made to blockbuster in the pootie tang case. like the deadly tape, he says that pootie tang has been going around and killing ever since.
* air force one: president baxter (leslie neilsen) wonders at one point what president ford would have done and looks at a painting of harrison ford.
* basketball: there are a couple of things that reflect this movie, which was also directed by david zucker. First, the scene at Brenda’s wake where George and Mahalik try to bring her back to life takes place in a hospital in basketball. second, when the president is running from aliens, he quotes bob costas and says, “are you excited? you should see my nipples.”
* plane!: president baxter opens the door to the basement where cindy and george are fighting creepy video girl and says, “good luck, we’re all counting on you”, as he does many times in plane!
scary movie 4 (2006)
* saw: the movie starts with shaq and dr. phil chained up in a basement and billy the puppet telling them they have 90 seconds left to live. possibly cut off a foot.
* the war of the worlds: most of the plot is taken from the 2005 tom cruise movie. tom ryan (craig bierko) works in a loading dock, is mean to his children, and eventually wins them over as the world nears certain destruction at the hands of the tripods.
* brokeback mountain: In a flashback to a cowboy camp, mahalik and cj are seen singing to each other and having sex in a tent.
* dark water: Cindy takes a job as a home health aide in a creepy house, similar to the apartment in dark water . as the owner takes her around the place, he is always one step ahead of her so he can hide the weirdness of her, also similar to dark water.
* the grudge: Much of the weirdness in the house comes from the little dead ghost that lives there. Solving the mystery of the cursed little monster takes up much of Cindy’s time in the movie.
* the amityville horror: a quick shot of tom chopping dura flame logs in his yard probably refers to the father in the amityville horror .
* hustle & Flow: There is a flashback from Cindy’s first marriage, and she resembles Taryn Manning’s character, Nola. she is arguing with her black and fat husband.
* Million Dollar Baby: In a flashback, Cindy is a boxer and her husband, George, is her trainer. Near the end of her fight with a woman played by Mike Tyson, George falls onto a stool and breaks his neck. the referee breaks his neck on the ropes, another coach breaks his neck on the side of the ring, and a fan breaks his neck on the back of a chair.
* the village: cindy and brenda come across a pseudo-amish village, where they get caught trespassing. The village leader, Henry Hale (Bill Pullman), decides to take them in, then reveals on his deathbed that he is the creepy ghost boy’s stepfather.
* saw 2: After being sucked into the butt of the tripod, Cindy, Brenda, and Tom find themselves in traps similar to those in saw 2. Then the puppet Billy deploys gadgets that kick Tom in the balls, giving him purple nurples and wet creeps.
scary movie 5 (2013)
* paranormal activity: The surveillance camera stunt and the spooky nighttime happenings in pa are heavily parodied. In the opening scene, George is shooting a sex tape with Lindsay Lohan and has a few dozen cameras focused on the bed. later, jody (ashley tisdale) and dan (simon rex) go round and round to an absurd degree, mocking the less absurd but equally impressive twists and turns in pa.
* cabin in the woods and evil dead: these two simultaneously tease a cabin, which is in the woods, and a haunted book of ancient spells in the basement of the cottage. mac miller verifies the name of cabin in the woods, while some shots of evil dead are visually referenced.
* mama: A surprising amount of this movie, which came out in January, appears in scary movie 5. there are the wild girls, their punk-rock caretaker, and the presence of the sinister “mama.” The entire climax is based on mama, with Judy battling the ghostly matriarch of the clan of creepy kids as she tries to throw them off a cliff.
* Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Dan works at a primate research center where he tries to make apes smarter. She is working with an ape named Caesar, whom Dan takes home. this caesar is more intelligent than that of the real apes, but less determined to freedom.
*black swan: judy is a dancer auditioning for a local production of swan lake, leading to a big parody of black swan. her rival is black, which means she dances like a stripper and a girl in a rap video. The elderly dancer played by Winona Ryder in the film Aronofsky is played here by Molly Shannon.
*Diary of a Crazy Black Girl: Madea is briefly seen in the audience watching Swan Lake. she disapproves of the black swan’s suggestive dance moves.
*royal wedding: At one point during ballet practice, someone mentions the janitor dancing. cut to ira janitor (usher) dancing with her mop like fred astaire.
*inception: After one of the girls mentions that she sees Mom in her dreams, Judy calls in a DiCaprio look-alike to perform an Inception. teases the cafe scene (a cell phone makes everything vibrate instead of a train), judy has a dream about fifty shades of grey, and the dog plugs into the startup machine to reveal his dream about riding poodles.