before we start after spending a few years learning how to do a quick painting and going through the painful hassle of recording, editing and accelerating quick paintings, we have created an extremely easy to use quick painting application that anyone can use.
If you’ve been into digital art for a while, you’ve seen them: high-speed videos of artists painting. timelapses that compress hours and hours of drawing and painting in just a few minutes. yes, we are talking about quick paints.
many artists, both experienced and amateur, are captivated by the strangely fascinating nature of speed painting videos. the most experienced already know all the tricks, but beginners wonder how to start painting with speed.
That’s why we went ahead and created this comprehensive guide that will teach you step by step how to paint fast. to make a speedpaint, you first need a drawing program, then you need to record it and finally edit it to speed it up and export it, resulting in a speedpaint video. We’ll go through each step in detail, covering different software and approaches, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs. We explain the process step by step so that you can follow it without having previous knowledge. and we will also propose you different software alternatives, so that you can use the best quick paint software out there, specifically tailored to your needs.
this guide will focus on explaining how to do speed painting on a computer, but we will end up talking about how to do speed painting on ipad as well though.
so, without further ado, let’s start with this: how do you do a speed painting?
? first things first: how to get a free drawing program
One of the most common questions we get from people wondering how to do a quick painting is what drawing program to use. And that’s understandable, because without any kind of painting software you wouldn’t have anything to record after all?
The drawing programs most used by artists in their speed painting videos are Adobe Photoshop ($20.99/month), Clip Studio Paint ($49.99), and Paint Tool Sai ($50).
We understand that money is tight for an artist, so we have decided to include a perfectly valid free alternative: gimp (free). gimp can be considered as a kind of photoshop clone, but free and open source (ie developed and maintained by a community of altruistic developers). the program’s code is open and anyone can see it, so it’s a guarantee that the program doesn’t have viruses or do anything suspicious on your computer. it’s a pretty good, robust, full-featured program, so it can be a good starting point for most artists. however, if you’ve tried any of the paid options, you’ll notice that gimp doesn’t measure up to that level of quality. But one thing is for sure: it’s better than nothing.
another good free drawing program you can download is krita (free). it’s also free and open source, and is aimed more specifically at digital art, drawing, and painting than gimp (which is more of a generalist approach to digital image manipulation, like photoshop).
There are also many quick painting apps online, but we recommend sticking with any of the programs listed above if you want to be like the artists you watch and admire.
Whatever the case, getting drawing software is just the first step. the drawing program is just so you can paint on the screen. then we need to be able to record it and turn the recording into a quick painting.
Okay, now you have the software installed and you’re ready to go, so now you may be wondering how to speed paint in photoshop, or how to record a speed painting in clip studio paint, or how to do it in either. paint application or software of your choice.
Get ready for action, because the next thing is to record your speed painting! ?
? how to record a speedpaint
To record your art, you’ll need some kind of screen capture software. The good news is that there’s a good chance your computer already has one pre-installed or the one you probably need is free.
how to record quick paintings with quicktime
[ macos only] If you’re using an apple computer (i.e. a mac or a macbook), your computer comes with a small pre-installed program called quicktime.
quicktime is what your mac uses by default to open and play all video files. when you open an .mp4 or .mov file on your mac, the program you are using to watch that video is quicktime.
However, that’s not all. there is a very clever trick that hardly anyone knows about. what very few people know is that quicktime can also be used to record your screen. You heard me right: it not only plays videos, but also records your screen.
so how do you start recording your quickpainting with quicktime?
And we’re done recording your speedpainting process with the quicktime app! however, using quicktime to record your speed painting is only half the process. now you need to transform your real time video into a quick painting. we will do this by editing your video to speed it up and then exporting it. If you want, skip the obs process (which will be similar to quicktime) and skip to the next section to learn how to edit a quick painting.
how to record quick paintings with obs
[valid for both ⊞ windows and macos] if you use windows, you may not have a recording program out of the box like mac users do. but do not worry! there is an easy and free solution for that.
Whether you are using windows or macos, you can follow this procedure. If you are a mac user, maybe you didn’t like quicktime or you are looking for an alternative to quicktime to record your screen, so obs can also be helpful. obs is the acronym for open broadcaster software, an application often used by streamers (both on twitch and youtube) to broadcast their screens and webcams, but it can also record your screen without broadcasting.
- First, head over to the OBS download page and download OBS.
- Open it and install the program.
- Once you have it installed, open it. A screen similar to this one will show up:
- Add a new scene. To do that, in the lower left bottom locate the “Scenes” section and click the plus (“+”) button:
- Enter a name for your scene. It doesn’t really matter, but you can call it something like “My Screen” or “Desktop”.
- Add a source for your scene. To do that, locate the “Sources” panel right next to “Scenes” and click the add button.
- Select a Display Capture source type
- Click “Create new” and then click “Ok” to go to the source creation window.
- In the lower section, select the screen you would like to record (if you have only one screen, then only one screen will be available). Also make sure to check whether you’d like the cursor to show up in the recording or not.
- We’re now ready to start recording! Click “Start Recording” in the “Controls” panel by the right of the window and OBS will start recording your screen.
- Open your drawing program and create your art! OBS is recording.
- When you want to finish, go back to OBS and click “Stop Recording”. The recorded movie will be saved to your “Downloads” folder.
- If you want to modify the settings of the screen recording, those can be found in the Settings window. Click the “Settings” button in the “Control” panel. On the Settings window, select “Output” on the list in the left. Then, switch to the “Recording” tab on the right side of the window. And there you can choose where your recordings will be saved, the file format and a bunch of other settings.
and voila! this is how you record your screen with obs. however, as we said above, recording your screen is only half the journey if you want to make a quick painting video. Next, you’ll learn how to edit speed paints to speed up your recording and export a finished speed paint video.
? how to edit a quick painting
If you want to learn how to record a quick painting, capturing your screen is only half the story. now we need to edit the recording to speed it up. so next we will learn how to edit quick paintings.
The first thing you’ll need is a video editing program.
most professional speed painters use adobe premiere pro ($20.99/month) to do this.
We know that that could be a steep price for a video editing software just to edit your quick paint video, so we’ll cover how to do it using two free video editing apps: imovie and windows movie maker. windows).
how to edit a speedpaint with imovie
[ macos only] if you’re using a apple computer, you’ll be using a free app that comes pre-installed with your computer, or that you can download very easily and for free from the mac app store . This app is called imovie and it’s a free video editing software for mac.
- Download iMovie (if you haven’t already or if you don’t have it installed in your computer). Head over to the Mac App Store (click on the icon on the top leftmost corner of your screen and then click “App Store…”) and then search for “iMovie”. Click it to open the app page and just click “Download”.
- Once you have iMovie, open it. If you can’t find it in your Mac, press the keys ⌘ command + spacebar. In the Spotlight box that shows up, write “iMovie”. An item named “iMovie.app” will show up, just click it to open it.
- Click on “Create New” to create a new film project
- If you get the option to choose, choose, “Movie”
- You’ll see the iMovie main interface
- Drag and drop the video file you recorded in the previous step anywhere into the timeline:
- Right click on your clip and select “Show Speed Editor”.
- A small circular knob will appear in the upper right corner of your clip
- Click and drag the speed knob all the way down to the start of the clip to compress the clip by increasing its speed. An icon of a rabbit will appear on top of the clip, indicating the clip has been sped up.
- Once you’re happy with the final speed, export the final speedpaint video by going to File ▸ Share ▸ File… and selecting the location where you’d like to save your speedpainting.
congratulations! You have successfully created your first quick painting! It was quite a trip, huh?
Keep reading if you want to add music to your speed painting video… or jump to the secret method that does all of this automatically!
how to edit a quick painting with windows movie maker (windows photo app)
[⊞ windows only] if you use windows, you also have a free video editing program.
In older versions of windows, this program was called windows movie maker, but since windows 10 it is no longer available and all its functionality has been included in the windows photos app.
To edit and speed up your speedpaint video on windows, follow these steps:
- open the windows photos app (click here to open it)
- import or open your recorded video file in photos. to do that:
- click the video editor tab
- click “new video project”
- click ok.
- add new media items by going to the project library section and clicking the “+ add” button.
- select and add your recorded video from your pc.
- click “place on storyboard” to add your newly imported video to the project storyboard.
how to add music to your speed painting
When recording a speed painting, one of the things you’ll probably do is add music and even your voice over the video.
both programs we’ve shown can do this!
To record a voiceover in imovie, you can go to the menu bar and click “window”, then select “record voiceover”. or you can just press “v” on your keyboard to start recording your voice over. windows movie maker (windows photos) follows a very similar process.
Now that you’re editing, you’ll want to add some music to your speedpaint, which is what most speedpainters do, looking to make their creation even more engaging.
but if you want to add music, you have to be careful. Most music is protected by copyright laws and if you use it, your video could be removed, so you should only use songs from resources that provide copyright-free music. Some of these resources are audio libraries or dano songs, but if you are looking for the best websites to get free music for your speed paintings, here we have compiled a list of very good music for speed paintings that you should definitely check out.
? how to do a speedpaint on ipad
if you are drawing or creating your art on an ipad, or any android tablet, the above steps will not necessarily apply to you, as they were more intended to guide you through the process of creating a quick painting on a computer . But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. this is what to do if you want to learn how to do a quick painting on ipad or any other tablet.
if you’re using an ipad, you can record your screen as you normally would if you were to record any other app:
- swipe up from the bottom edge of your ipad to reveal the control panel. you should see a record button (it looks like a circle inside a thinner circle)
- if you don’t see a record button, go to your ipad settings ▸ control center ▸ customize controls and tap the switch to enable screen recording.
- go to photos and select the video you just recorded. then click the “share” icon in the bottom left corner of your screen (which looks like a box with an arrow on it) and send the video to yourself (via email or airdrop if you’re also using a mac, or via dropbox, google drive or any other app you use)
- or connect your ipad with a lightning cable to your computer and manually copy the video file
also, if you’re already using the procreate app to make your art, it already has a time lapse feature that you can use to record your quick painting!
how to do a quick painting on android tablets
You can also record a speedpaint on an android tablet if that’s the device you’re using!
to do that use android 10’s built in screen recorder (if you have a compatible model like some lgs, samsung or oneplus)…or if you don’t have the built in screen recorder download the free az screen app recorder.
The steps to record your screen on android are very similar to those on ipad! Once you have your real-time screen recording video, connect your device to your computer using a USB cable, copy your recording, and follow the steps already outlined to edit your quick paintings.
? how to make quick paintings easier
All of the above steps may seem a bit daunting. It’s normal: it’s a lot of steps. there are a lot of moving parts that you need to be aware of and precisely coordinate to achieve the desired quick paint. and the process can be exhausting.
We’ve been shooting speedpaint-like videos for quite a few years, both professionally and amateurishly, so we know exactly how painful and tedious it can be.
That’s why we’ve created hustl: a nice little app that does all of this automatically for you.
it really works with just a couple of clicks. here is a detailed tutorial, but you only need:
- get the app
- select the area to record
- click record (you can pause and resume your speed painting at any time!)
- click stop – and hustl will export you a quick painting video ready to share! yes, it’s that simple!
hustl directly records a quick painting, instead of first recording a real-time video and then speeding it up: so it’s very fast and efficient. making quick paintings has never been so easy! with hustl, you could finally start creating and uploading several quick paintings a week like you’ve always wanted.
? get hustl now here.
In this tutorial guide, we show you step by step how to make a speed painting video.
first, you need to download a drawing program (such as photoshop or clip studio paint). Then you need to record your screen with free screen recording software (such as quicktime or obs). Finally, you should use free video editing software (such as imovie or windows movie maker, now called windows photos) to speed up your video, resulting in the final speed painting.
We’ve also covered how to record speed paintings on iPads and tablets, which share several similarities with the process of recording a speed painting on a computer.
if you were wondering how to use speedpaint or how to create your own speedpaints, we hope you have learned how to do it and go on to create amazing works of art!
Leave us a comment with your speedpaint video!