- You can search for movies and tv shows on netflix using the search icon at the top of the mobile app and web browser, or through the top of the sidebar menu on the web browser. tv app.
- You can search not only by movie or show name, but also by actor, director, genre, and a handful of other categories.
- If you prefer to browse by category, you can choose a category directly or type your category tag into its url without scrolling endlessly, hoping to find your favorite category by coincidence.
- Visit the business insider home page for more stories.
netflix has a lot of content. That’s evident from the stats: the service hosts around 1,569 TV shows and 4,010 movies in an expanding portfolio. and the video streaming company claims its 139 million global subscribers watch 140 million hours of content each day.
If you’re one of those 139 million subscribers, you may sometimes have trouble finding the shows you want to watch among all those options.
To help you, Netflix provides a search tool on the website and mobile apps for iOS and Android devices, as well as TV-based apps. No matter how you use Netflix, there is a way to focus on the shows you want.
how to search netflix
1. open netflix, either by launching the app on your mobile or streaming device, or by navigating to netflix.com in a browser.
2. at the top of the screen (or at the top of the sidebar in tv apps), tap or click the search icon, shaped like a magnifying glass.
3. Type your search.
There are several different types of searches you can perform:
- by title. If you search for the title of a TV show or movie, Netflix will display that item and similar shows and movies. If Netflix doesn’t have the show you’re looking for, it will display the closest match it can find.
- by actor. you can search for actors and actresses by name. you’ll get results showing shows and movies they’ve appeared in.
- by director. Similarly, you can search by a director’s name to find movies and shows they’ve worked on.
- by genre. If you’re looking for a particular type of show, like sci-fi, fantasy, drama, or comedy, you can enter that search term.
- by language. Do you want a movie in Spanish, French or German? search for “films in spanish” to see exactly that: films in spanish.
- by video quality. you can search for “uhd” to find shows and movies in 4k uhd quality.
Note that netflix not only shows search results, but also categories at the top of the page; these are the categories it uses to find results for you. if you want to see results for just one of those particular categories, click on it to focus on that collection of movies.
how to browse netflix by category
You’re no doubt already familiar with how to browse Netflix by genre and category: just scroll down the home page, whether you’re in an app or a web browser. but you also have a couple of other options.
if you choose “tv shows” or “movies” at the top of the screen, it will switch to a page showing just one or the other. and when you do, you’ll see a dropdown menu where you can choose a genre directly, without having to scroll to find it.
You can also browse really rare and unusual categories. Netflix tracks movies based on a few niche categories, like “wine and beer appreciation,” “low-key horror movies,” and “quirky romance.” Read our article, “27 Of The Best Secret Categories On Netflix And How To Find Them,” to learn about many of these categories.
When you know the tag number for a specific category, you can access that category’s landing page by typing its number in the address bar after the word “genre,” like so: http://www.netflix. com/browse/genre/52858.
Related coverage of how to do it all: technology:
how to download movies and shows from netflix to your phone or tablet to watch when you don’t have internet
how to cancel your netflix subscription, regardless of how you subscribed
how to watch netflix on your tv in 5 different ways
‘how much does netflix cost?’: all netflix subscription plans, explained